Inline Performance Magazine

Friday, October 28, 2011

Inline Performance Magazine


Broken Mirror, No More

Posted: 28 Oct 2011 04:00 PM PDT


What's good riders? Remember the problem I had on my 2003 Kawasaki Z1000 involving the left mirror being annoyingly loose? The other day, I was checking to see if it could be tightened by taking the base of the mirror's tubular nut, and tightening the smaller nut inside.

Well initially the point was to reveal and release this nut and put on a thread locking compound in order to assure its security, but what ended up happening was something completely different and disappointing.

In works of tightening the smaller nut, combined with the thread locking compound, I ended up over tightening the much worn screw tip of the mirror and twisted it off, OOPS! Silly me, I forgot the number one rule when tightening anything, "once tight, it's enough."

It also didn't help that I had some verbal encouragement from a guy (Paul) who failed to realize that I'm the type of person that doesn't know her own strength. But he didn't fail to point out that I broke my mirror by saying "look, you broke your mirror." Thanks for the commentary as always Paul!

Well now instead of having an annoyingly loose mirror, I now have a mirror in two pieces. It was time for a quick fix. To pocket the mirror was one idea, but there is just something about a bike with missing limbs that bugs me. So I decided to reattach the mirror by using electrical tape until I got home to figure out a more solid temporary solution.

The best idea I had was to use a bonding and hardening solution. This will be satisfactory until I'm able to replace the mirror. So I went to the hardware store and bought a Plastic Steel Epoxy bonding solution and some plumbers tape to add reassurance and security. This temporary solution was very promising, but there is always room for failure.

I filled the tubular nut shaft up with the mixture and pretty much stuck the broken end of the mirror in; making sure to add more mixture around it. After that I taped it up with the plumbers tape making sure to create a tight, shell like cocoon to add extra support. After the 24 hour waiting period I took a test run around the area to make sure it was at least stable with city riding, and it turns out to be a piece of cake. And it handles the freeway the same way with a small exception of having a little give, but this all could mean I did not apply enough mixture in and around the shaft. Regardless, I rate this a successful rig and am satisfied for now.

I thought about replacing both the mirrors and getting a cool new set. This still sounds like a good idea because the last owner of the bike already had missed match pieces to the set of mirrors on the bike. But I can always get an original replacement of the left view mirror, and will be equally happy. Now I can at least say that I have options. Alrighty, this is Studdly signing off.

Stay tuned for more updates, and be sure to order your copy of the 2011 print edition of Inline Performance Magazine HERE at the pre-order price for a limited time.

If you like this post then please consider subscribing to our full feed RSS or receive new posts by Email.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Vida de bombeiro Recipes Mister Colibri Informatica Humor Jokes Mensagens Curiosity Saude Video Games